Pineapple Track

Dunedin City District

The Pineapple Track

If you want the best panoramic view of Dunedin and the surrounding area, this is the place you want to go. The pineapple track is a full 2 hour walk from one side to the other or just a short 20 minute walk from the bull ring to Flagstaff summit. Flagstaff gets it's name from pioneering times when they used to hoist a flag at the summit to let all the men in the surrounding area to know a ship was entering the harbor, so they could head to the city in the hope of finding a wife. The pineapple track acquired it's name from the 1920s, when a local tea merchant, Oscar Balk, used to lead hikers to the top and hand out refreshments of canned pineapple, which in turn some of the hikers ditched their empty tins along the trail. Note : THE WEATHER CAN BE EXTREMELY UNPREDICTABLE - USE COMMON SENSE AND TAKE APPROPRIATE MEASURES.


There are two great places to start the trail, for the longer version; the track starts at the end of Booth Rd which comes off of the intersection of Wakari Rd and Fulton Rd. This track takes an hour and a half to reach the summit. For the shorter version, which most people will do, the track starts at the bull ring, which is the parking lot on the Flagstaff-Whare Flat rd, it is located right at the summit of the road.

Other adventures in close proximity

Helpful links

A little slice of History

Otago's first industry was sawmilling, and it kicked off in the 1860's at Leith Valley, situated where the Pineapple Track starts today. Back when it was originally known as the Ross Track, after Archibald Hilson Ross, he was the man that owned most of the land in the vicinity at the time. Some time in the 1920's, Mr Oscar Balk, a local tea merchant and the first president of the Otago Tramping Club, would lead other hikers up the Ross Track. They would stop for a break and some refreshments by way of tin's of pineapple. The then empty tins were sometimes left hanging on tree's and fences, and the track took on a new name, The Pineapple Track.

Words of our past are a splice from blogtown.co.nz rewritten by me - Stu